Wednesday 13 April 2011

It's all in the Name

Big Daddy wrote today about his son calling his mother "it". Louis does this ALL the time. If he really knows you well (like myself for instance) he will sometimes refer to you as "he", but generally people are known as "it".

For example - my husband will ask "Where's mummy?". Louis will reply "It is in the shower". Disclaimer - I am not always in the shower.....that is just where I go to cry (joking) ((a bit)).

Anyhoo....back to today. We had Louis' cousins over. One boy is 3 and the other just over 1. Lovely kids, but they are developing in a standard neurological manner, and frankly....we just don't know how to deal with that shit in our house. They did not wish to discuss the finer points of windscreen wipers and the youngest cried a lot. Totally did Louis' head in.

Anyway, what really fucked with Louis' world order, was the fact that the 1-year-old is now walking. I think Louis expected him to remain lumpish and inert for all time.
So, this little bundle heaved himself to his feet and toddled his way over to Louis, grinning happily. Louis shrieked as if bamboo slivers had been shoved under his fingernails. He leapt backwards into my legs and screamed "IT'S COMING AT ME, MUMMY!". This was repeated ad nauseum until I got him under control.

My point in all this, is not Louis' inability to understand people as gender specific entities, nor his obvious distaste for small humans, it is to recognise that there are some really decent lovely people around. My sister-in-law totally took this all in her stride, with no offense taken or drama created. She discreetly made every effort to keep her little one from Louis' personal space, for the entirety of the visit. She listened to Louis' monologues and made pertinent comments. She never touched him or asked him questions.

After a couple of hours, Louis was really struggling with the noise and was reaching the end of his ability to cope. He walked up quietly and said "Excuse me, I think you need to go home now" - (I love that he uses his manners, even when being rude). She thanked him for being honest with her. She told him that they were leaving in 15 minutes.....and she stuck to it.

People like my sister-in-law are diamonds. She treated Louis with respect, and used some common sense. She didn't go over the top, as some do, desperately trying to make Louis like her. She treated him like she treated her children, with respect and boundaries. Louis was in no way 'special' today and I appreciate that.

Okay, It is going to bed now. Time to take out my batteries and wind down.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

They can never get the "she" right...why is that? The best I can do is "he" as well. Audrey is forever telling people to go home...we should all be that honest and unafraid that people will think us rude. Your SIL rocks!

Big Daddy Autism said...

In his defense, I believe all children under the age of 2 can safely be referred to as "it." Also, I frequently tell people to leave or go home. So, I think Louis is doing just fine in this regard.