Friday 11 March 2011

You say hello, I say goodbye

Haven't had the energy to blog for a week. I have been host to a virus of biblical proportions. Truly heinous and disgusting.

But I am back!! *cue inspiring trumpet blasts*

Went and checked out a school for the boy on Wednesday. It wasn't a suitable fit - they didn't believe they could challenge Louis enough. Never mind. The field is narrowing.

So autism quirk # 649 has become quite pronounced again. Louis simply will not say hello or goodbye to people. I understand that he hates questions and greetings, but I am struggling because it looks sooooooo rude when a neighbour or acquaintance says hello and he just turns his back on them.

I think I am going to have to do a social story on this one. I do believe it is important. I know he is capable of greetings. This is all I expect. I don't expect him to enter into conversation. Ha! I remember how before he could talk well, he would look at the ground and screw his face up in a filthy expression whenever anyone acknowledged him. If further questioning ensued, he would shut his eyes and make them disappear.

Anyway, I don't care if he farts the national anthem from his armpits at home, but manners in the outside world will go a long way to excuse some of his other, more eccentric behaviours. Quite simply, I insist on respect for my son, only fair that he treats others with respect too.

On the goodbye thing, it might be tougher. He has this idea that if he says goodbye he is allowing the person to leave. Fine if he doesn't like you....he will goodbye you minutes after walking in the door, but if he likes you....he will NOT say goodbye.

This is morning at our house:

Daddy: "Bye Louis, have a good day"

Louis: "NO goodbyes from Louis!! Get your goodbyes from Mummy"

Tickles me no end!

3 comments:

Annicles said...

He sounds fabulous! Hellos and goodbyes can be tough for neurotypical children too. Lots of them refuse to say either at nursery!A social story sounds like a very good place to start.

I hope you find a nice little school for Louis. If you lived in England I'd invite you to come and look around the one I work in. We have two children (out of 36 4-11 year olds) on the spectrum. You need us, but down your road!!!

Big Daddy Autism said...

Can he actually fart the national anthem with his arm pits?

Noonie Trousers and Then Some said...

Annicles - you guys really so have a much more sophisticated system than we do. More services, more teacher knowledge by the sound of it.

BD - If he could, I would never have bothered with all that therapy. There are some gifts greater than speech!