Tuesday 15 March 2011

Life's a Beach

I took Louis to the beach, upon his request, this morning. It is a fair hike, about an hour or thereabouts by car, as I take him to a beach with a view of the airport across the harbour. Initially, I chose to go to this beach as I thought that watching the planes would be an enticement to touch the sand. I was wrong at the time. Fast forward through much sensory occupational therapy and Louis now loves the sand. However, there is only one beach in Louis' mind. Like most things, the first is the only.

So we trekked off to the beach. It was an overcast morning, though not cold. Quite pleasant really. Sunny days are no good, as Louis can't cop bright sunlight for long periods of time - light sensitive. Also sunny days bring OTHER people. Not a huge fan of OTHER people.

The thing I don't quite understand though, is that Louis refuses to look at or touch the water. It causes him anxiety to be near it and he makes every attempt to completely ignore it. He just wants to play in the sand. MY question is - how is this any different to playing in the sandpit at home? We don't run over the sand. He picks a metre or so of beach and plays the exact same repetitive games we play in the sand at home.

Fills in a morning nicely though. I enjoy getting out. Louis' anxiety and rigidity rarely lets us travel far afield, so an outing that is requested and takes up an entire morning is much appreciated by me!

There is a lot to be thankful for in my life. Especially when considering the shock and loss of those across the waters.

No comments: