Sunday 6 March 2011

Dinner is served.

Louis' diet is severely limited in quality and quantity. This does not stress me out as it used to. I used to get so upset about it and every meal time was a gut churning, battle of wills. My husband finally sat me down and explained to me that "when you can't win....you can't win". Then there was some zen bullshit about letting go of what you can't control, blah blah blah. I ignored him as he levitated slowly towards Nirvana.

BUT...it is true. I simply cannot force Louis to eat. He has texture based sensory oral problems. Food has to be a room temperature or cold. One food must not touch other foods. Preferably food is crunchy and dry. A food must not be multi-texturous (put that one in the dictionary, Oxford)....for example, a cherry tomato has a smooth skin but a wet and fleshy inside...ditto with a grape. First time Louis tried a grape, he spat that sucker 20 mtrs across the room. Then he screamed for a good ten minutes.

Additionally, Louis has less ability to eat as the day goes on. I put this down to accumulative sensory build up as the day goes on. He seriously eats a tiny amount of food.

The last blood test showed he was okay, but with borderline iron. Good enough for this mumma.

The point of this post is this: are there any recipe books out there on how to make up party plates? I am soooooooooooooooooo bored with arranging raw apple, carrots, dry bread and dry crackers (this was his dinner tonight). I need ideas people!!

3 comments:

Big Daddy Autism said...

Griffin, my 13 year old autistic son, used to be a real finnicky eater. Then, somewhere around 8 or 9, he just started to try new foods. Now, he is an eating machine.

Lynn said...

Yeah, I got nothin'. You've probably heard the same bullshit stat that I heard once...that you have to try to give them something new at least 12 times before you should admit defeat. Supposedly it might take that many times before they really accept it. I know. I'll shut up.

Noonie Trousers and Then Some said...

Thanks guys....after another day of no solid food intake, it is nearly time for a paed visit.