Wednesday 12 January 2011

In a nutshell

L gets anxious about change. He has sensory problems with noise, light and touch. He likes things samey samey. Not unusual for his diagnosis.

And yet, I have been having a few pangs lately, worrying that L is missing out on a whole bunch of experiences. My friends have been making the most out of these loooooong Christmas holidays and have been taking their children to festivals, museums, zoos and what not. Guilt has a way of erasing logic. I forget that we aren't on same playing field as these kids. What rocks their boat would most likely toss L under the waves.

This exchange today erased the guilt and made things clear again.

Me "L, do you want to hear something exciting?"
L "NO!"

We went to the library instead.

1 comment:

Kettle said...

Not sure I follow: are you saying the library isn't exciting? Huh, interesting. Couldn't think of anywhere I'd rather be.