Thursday 5 May 2011

Nanna Nap



That is my head. That is my head sans makeup. Under flourescent lights. With nearly three months straight of sleepless nights under my belt. So be kind.

I wanted to show you how racoon-like my eyes have become. I know I have recently compared the bags under my eyes to the scrotums of meercats, but I have changed my mind. I definitely look like a racoon. If I had just brushed my teeth - a racoon with rabies.

Now, I have never been a fashion plate. Never had the kind of looks that stop people in the street. Frankly, I am grateful. I just don't like that kind of attention. However, people are now commenting on how tired I look - a lot.

"Wow, still not sleeping huh" and
"You look EXHAUSTED".

Well duh.

So, this brings me to my next point. Sleep deprivation not only ramps up the irritability and crazy in me. Apparently, it also turns me into a raving hypochondriac.

I had totally convinced myself, that I had either diabetes or Ross River virus. Both are pretty debilitating and I have been feeling much stress because, let's be honest, I don't have the time or energy to be sick. I have been anxious and stressed over my imagined prognosis. I have consulted Dr Google and caused myself great alarm.

Last night, I slept upstairs and husband was on Louis duty. I slept for 6 hours straight.

With six hours sleep comes renewed clarity.

It wasn't hypoglycaemic issues causing lethargy. Not getting sleep was causing me to fall asleep with my eyes open at 1pm each day.

This seems really bloody obvious now, on the back of a nights sleep. But, when you are living in a fog of exhaustion, it is like being depressed. It becomes your new normal and you can't remember what life was like before.

I have decided today, while Louis is at school, to NOT do any uni work. To do the bare minimum of housework and to have a nap. I am going to ignore the voice in my head that is jumping up and down, shouting about all the work that needs to be done. I need to function with a clearer head. I don't want my neuroses getting the better of me, the way they seem to when I don't get enough sleep.

So off to a nanna nap. Night all.

5 comments:

Annicles said...

Siestas are extremely good for you. I even manage to slip one in at lunch time when iteach at school if necessary. In the classroom, on the mat! Nothing better!

Lynn said...

I am a total hypochondriac even with a full night's sleep, so I will be off to Google Ross River virus right after this. Never heard of it but I'm sure that I have it.

Most importantly, you look exactly like Angelina Jolie would under your same circumstances. You're gorgeous! Now go have a nap...

Lizbeth said...

It's amazing how much clarity comes with a good nights (or at least 5 hours) sleep. After I had one of the kids I SWORE I had bonne cancer---um, yeah, no...just my hip bone...haha!

Go get some sleep! And you look great!

Big Daddy Autism said...

I used to be a hypochondriac - until I started actually getting the diseases. Now I see so many doctors, legitimately, I have no time to come up with fake stuff.

Noonie Trousers and Then Some said...

Thanks for the comps folks. Embarrassed me and I think you all lied but lets just let it go. I am so glad to hear that I am not the only self obsessed nut here. And BD, no time for hypochondria...that is what I call a gift wrapped in shit. Sorry to hear that the imaginary became real.