Saturday 7 May 2011

Insanity is a hooting dinosaur

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHHHH

That was me tearing my hair out in frustration.

I am seriously doubting my sanity at the moment. As I have spoken about before, I am studying to become a special education teacher. I specifically want to work with autistic kids. Because they rock.

Anyway, I have this 3000 word essay to do on law and ethics and it is totally doing my head in. I have never experienced anything like this in my whole schooling, tertiary or otherwise.

I simply cannot write this essay. I can't organise my thoughts. I can't stop them from jumping from subject to subject, long enough to get anything written down.

I have, I shit you not, a 20 cm pile of reference papers and journals. I have read them all.

I have simply no ability to slow my brain down long enough to get this fucking essay written.

I know this is going to sound pathetic, coming off the back of my hypochondria post but I think I know what the problem is........I HAVE ATTENTION DEFICIT DISORDER.
For some reason it has just struck me down at 38 years of age. Some of you may scoff and put it down to the ongoing sleep deprivation, stress and general depression, but my money is on adult onset ADD.

In other news, Louis spent the majority of the day making odd hooting noises instead of speaking. It was astonishingly annoying.

Late this afternoon, he filled me in that he is actually being a Stygimoloch. A herbivorous dinosaur from the cretaceous period, with a bony head. I am not kidding. He told me all these facts. This from a boy who cannot for the life of him, recall the letters of the alphabet.

I just looked up Stygimoloch on the net, to make sure I spelled it correctly. Apparently, they use their hard skulls to fight each other. I guess that explains why he was headbutting my thighs all day long.

This is Louis, hooting at the cat.

6 comments:

Lizbeth said...

Ok, I've been insane since I popped out the first kid...it's gotten worse with each successive one. Leave the papers alone for a bit, take a break and it will come to you. Or get really drunk and then start writing. I've had success with either...haha!

Good luck with your little Stygimoloch...I"m laughing WITH you on this one!!

Annicles said...

I like the getting drunk suggstion. My only other help is to do what I did for every essay i had to hand in at uni - wait until 10pm the night beofre the essay is due, then pop some pro-plus to keep you awake and get it done overnight. It never failed - panic is a great concentration aid.

As for the hooting dinosaur - it has only just started. And it also yet again debunks the "autistic children have no imagination" myth. Who knows what noises they made?!

C... said...

My Aspie went on and on and on about Star Wars imperial and republic ships and every fascinating detail on Thursday night until I wanted him to shut it... but I felt bad saying I was bored to tears on the subject of this.

Big Daddy Autism said...

Maybe he was trying to tell you to stop banging your head against the wall like a bony headed dinosaur over the term paper. Maybe there is only room for one Stygimoloch in your house.

As the verteran of many term papers (believe it or not I got me a lot of schooling) I suggest you step away. Take a deep breath. Sit back down and write just one sentence. That usually used to open the flood gates for me.

If that doesn't work, you can always go back to banging your bony Stygimoloch head with your boy.

Noonie Trousers and Then Some said...

Thanks for the great suggestions. Getting drunk and breathe. Nice one! I have done nothing on it all day today. Taking the time to enjoy my little prehistoric one.

Lynn said...

I think that Big Daddy should write your essay for you. It's the least he can do.