Monday 7 February 2011

What to do, what to do?

I have Tuesdays all to myself with L. I really want to make the most of this time and make it something special. Sure, on weekends we do family stuff and on Mondays he sees his beloved Nanna and of course preschool takes up three days.....but I want to savour some precious time together before he hits school full time next year.

But I am stumped. L is adamant that he does not want to go anywhere. He has been pleading with me to let him stay at home tomorrow.

Of course that is what I will do....for the most part. I insist on him leaving the house at some point. I am hoping a trip to the lake to feed the ducks is acceptable. I have to admit though to fantasies of the two of us swanning around galleries, museums, ferries and beaches.

Once again however, I am left wondering if I am trying to force my idea of fun onto L, or am I legitimately trying to broaden his oh so narrow horizons.

Maybe like most things in this life, it is a little from column A and a little from column B.

I know I have to factor in his anxiety and sensory issues....but I don't want him to avoid the world because he feels it is too much. I guess I will start small and push slowly. This seems to be the approach that works best with L. No deep end pushing here....no sirree bob. Slowly the world will stop being too much and become familiar and safe, just like our lounge room. Here's hoping anyhow.

Cheers

1 comment: