Friday 25 February 2011

Oh Yea of Dulcet Tones

I thought I was going to have one of THOSE moments with Louis tonight. You know, when your kid gazes at you and says something heartfelt and profound. Well, actually I don't know, but I have read about them.

Indeed, I read of one just a night or so ago. A woman wrote of how her autistic son would cry whenever she sang to him. Finally, he told her it was "too beautiful" for him. I cried (bit of a theme, this crying business huh).

Anyhoo, flash forward to tonight. I sat by the tub as my son submerged various objects under the bubbles. I watched the water trickle down his beautiful, soft, smooth skin and I was moved to sing. After belting out a rousing rendition of "Knees up Mother Brown", I noticed Louis wailing and sobbing in the water...(I get distracted by how good I sound with bathroom acoustics).

He begged me to stop singing. He ALWAYS begs me to stop singing. I am a crappish singer but certainly not totally shit....for the record.

Anyway, I gathered his fragrant, soapy body to mine and whispered into his shell-like ear, "tell me Louis, tell me darling, why can't Mummy sing?" As he pushed himself away from me and got distracted, I redirected his focus back with "Darling, is Mummy's singing too beautiful for you?". Louis stopped paddling and looked up at me with his eyes like the sea. He seemed so THERE, so focussed on me. My heart stopped and I thought...."oh my God, this is IT".

Louis paused and then proclaimed seriously, "Not beautiful Mummy, you sing is very bad. Very, very bad and not good for Louis"

He is lucky I didn't hold him under!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the funniest shit EVER! LOVE IT! My son started becoming extremely agitated if we sang when he was a little over a year old. He still gets mad, but not quite as much. So glad we're not the only ones. I too cannot sing well, but like you, I didn't think it was that bad.